Name:

Telecommunications Systems Design Consultant and Poet

29.7.04

Bottom to Top

One thing I can't get my head around properly is this daft convention of putting more recent postings above earlier ones, so if you want to read a blog chronologically you have to start at the bottom and work upwards. Surely we have the technology to do something more sensible, but I guess it's entrenched in blog culture by now, and there'd be an outcry if anyone tried to change it. It might be interesting to write a novel in the format of blog entries, so that you read the end before the beginning. But I guess the only people who'd read such a work would be bloggers, and they'd naturally start at the back and read their way forwards, thus spoiling the whoe effect.

This convention gives me problems when posting my sound poems. I want any reader to see Soundpoem1 before either of the other two. I could post all three in a single entry, but that makes for a long entry, and also destroys the sense of chronology that's part of the point of a blog, as far as I can see. If I post them as separate entries, then a visitor is going to see the third one first, and possibly be distracted by it. Of course, I can't force anyone to read them in a particular order, nor would I want to, but I would like to be able to guide them, and I don't know how.

I think you're supposed to post at regular intervals, aren't you, rather than several in one go. I'm still not getting it right, am I?

1 Comments:

Blogger ivanpope said...

Peter,
I use Typepad, (http://typepad.com) which allows you to display your blog with the oldest entry first. I've never seen anyone do it, but I've been tempted myself, if only to introduce some dissonance.
Anyway, good luck with it.
Cheers,
Ivan

29 July 2004 at 15:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home